The doorbell rings and children run to bring me the package. Inside I find these two treasures. I carry them with me to darling daughter’s to read as little one sleeps and eats and children do their math and science. We sit around table and I pick up “One Thousand Gifts” sharing how Ann began counting. How her counting encouraged me to do the same.
Darling daughter challenges, numbering from 1-20 on a lined sheet of school paper. She sets sister to counting. She digs deeper, “why are you thankful for those things?”
Taking more paper she sets two boys making list – counting their blessings. Before 20 minutes pass these four have listed 80 blessings. Eighty gifts for which they are thankful.
I gather the sheets of paper when they are done. Papers that hold treasures for me to touch and cherish on stunning, glory days. Treasures to nurture and comfort on difficult days. Lists that remind me that gratitude is an intentional thought, a choice, a daily grace.
The gifts, they add up quickly. I pull out my journal and add to my list.
Father, thank you for this joy, to count the gifts from your heart to our hearts. Thank you for eyes to behold and moments to cherish. Thank you for…
921. Lined pages to write the thanks
922. Children – making list – gratitude counting
923. God’s grace gifts that pile up quickly
924. Joy that comes in the counting
925. Darling daughter making space, 20 minutes to count so many reasons to be thankful
I count with my children (from their lists)…
926. Chickens – we like fresh eggs
927. Books – we can make our own stories
928. Feet – so we can dance
929. Trees – they provide shade and oxygen, they are majestic and beautiful
930. Candles – to have light
931. Doors – to have privacy
932. Spices – to make things taste better
933. Leaves – to play in
934. Babies – to carry on our legacy
Speaking of babies, more from my list this week…
935. soft baby to nestle close to my cheek
936. the way babies smile with their whole body
937. Gold-hearted mom’s safe arrival, winter visit with awesome aunt and husband
938. Dentists to fix the tooth that aches
“There, in a hard and hidden place, informed by God’s Word – his “treasures of darkness and riches hidden in secret places” – we would begin our journey through a stream of grace that redeems the past, challenges the present, and shapes a vision for the future.”
940. Eyes to behold the bounty of God’s blessings
Check out Ann’s inspiring blog to learn more about 1000 gifts and The Gratitude Community. You can click on the books above to learn more.
Click on Stone Crossings photo above for link to L.L. Barkat’s website.